Yoni massage is a type of sensual massage. It is one of the tantric practices that aim to create intimate bonds between people. People can also practice yoni massage on their own to get to know their body.
People often think tantra is synonymous with tantric sex, but sex is only one aspect of tantra.
Yoni massage is not about sex or foreplay, but about getting to know yourself and what feels good.
This article describes:
- what is yoni massage
- its possible benefits
- how to do it
- posts to try
- where to find out more
Yoni is the Sanskrit word for vulva or vagina, and it roughly translates to “sacred cave” or “sacred space.”
Yoni massage is a sensual type of massage that aims to help people feel more at ease by exploring and developing their relationship with their body.
Yoni massage is one of many tantric practices. Tantra yoga, for example, was once a favorite practice in ancient India to enhance sexual pleasure. Yoni massage may involve certain tantric positions.
One of the main goals of yoni massage is to help a person feel more in tune with their body and more comfortable in their own skin.
Some proponents believe that doing this massage on your own can help a person overcome sexual trauma because it helps a person take control of their sexuality and learn what they like.
Others might find that practicing yoni massage with a partner improves the relationship.
It is important to note that yoni massage has no medical benefits.
As anecdotal evidence suggests, most people find yoni massage to be an emotional journey rather than a sexual one.
Although some people may experience an orgasm following a yoni massage, this is not necessarily the goal and need not be an expectation.
Some people, however, find that it leads to multiple orgasms. It entirely depends on the individual.
Yoni massage is generally safe, as long as a person performs it in a safe and hygienic manner. That implies:
- wash your hands before and after
- properly clean all massage tools
- do not insert objects into the vagina that could cause injury or infection
- stop if the massage becomes uncomfortable or painful
The yoni massage trend has led some companies to sell yoni tools and equipment, such as yoni eggs. These are egg-shaped objects that people insert into the vagina.
However, yoni eggs made of materials such as jade or other crystals cannot be safely inserted into the vagina. Many crystals are porous, which means that it is not possible to completely sterilize them. This may mean that they are harboring bacteria. They can also dislodge intrauterine devices (IUDs).
Also, some massage oils and lubricants that people might want to use for yoni massage may contain fragrances and other substances that can
A person receiving a yoni massage from a practitioner may also need to consider additional risks. There is no official accreditation for yoni massage therapy in the United States, so it is important to check the practitioner’s reputation, reviews from other clients, or ask for recommendations to find someone you trust.
Practitioners say preparation is key before performing a yoni massage. A person should try to prepare his mind, his body and, above all, his space.
Prepare the space
Choose an inviting area, which can be a bed or the floor. Add plenty of pillows and blankets to make it as comfortable as possible.
Enhance the mood by dimming the lights or lighting candles, which can be scented.
A person may prefer to perform the massage in silence or with relaxing background sounds or music. Make sure the temperature is pleasant.
prepare the mind
Allow plenty of time to perform the yoni massage. It’s important not to feel rushed or preoccupied with the day’s schedule.
Setting the intention is important when preparing for a yoni massage. Set the intention, but don’t dwell too much on setting the intention. It must be flexible.
Prepare the body
Posture is important when performing a yoni massage. To get the right posture:
- Lie down comfortably on the bed, floor, or other chosen space.
- Gently place one pillow under the head and another under the back.
- Place the feet gently but firmly on the floor with the knees bent and the legs open.
Warming up is also important. Inhale and exhale slowly, concentrating on inhaling and exhaling.
Sensual touch is a great way to warm up for a yoni massage. Involve the breasts, areola, abdomen and stomach, upper legs and inner thighs. Massage, touch and pull on these areas, but it feels good. Move down from the body towards the vulva.
People may want to use lubricants or massage oils. Make sure that no product will cause an allergic reaction or upset the balance of helpful microorganisms known as vaginal flora.
A person should proceed slowly and listen to what their body is telling them and how they are feeling. There should be no time constraints.
Some very simple techniques to try when practicing yoni massage include:
- Gently hold the clitoris between your index finger and thumb.
- Gently pull away from the body.
- Repeat with inner and outer lips and any other comfortable areas.
push and pull
- Make small, pulsating movements while gently pushing on the clitoris with one or two fingers.
- Maintain pressure on the clitoris while pulling your finger down the shaft.
- Repeat the process on both sides of the tree.
- With your fingertips, make small circles around the clitoris.
- Vary the direction clockwise and counterclockwise.
- Switch between smaller circles and larger ones, changing the pressure to what feels good.
- Take a part of the inner or outer lips between the middle finger and the thumb.
- Move the fingers in opposite directions as if trying to fit them together.
- Shape the hand into a “cup” and hold it above the vagina.
- Move the hand in a light circular motion.
- Flatten your hand against the opening of the vagina.
- Massage the entire area with the palm of your hand.
A person can try switching between the different techniques above. Make sure the rest of the body is also involved in the massage.
People may wish to try several positions when practicing yoni massage, many of which have their roots in the yogic tradition.
A person can assume this position as part of a massage solo or with a partner.
Alone, sit with your legs crossed and your back straight, placing your palms on your knees.
With a partner:
- A partner sits as above.
- Facing them, the second partner sits with their legs wrapped around the first partner’s torso, ankles crossed behind the partner.
- Breathe together.
The hand on the heart
- Sit with your legs crossed and your back straight.
- Rest the dominant hand on the heart.
- Feel the heartbeat and meditate on the connection by breathing deeply.
As people become more comfortable with yoni massages, they may want to try a new technique.
Orgasm is not the primary goal of tantric practices such as yoni massage. But if a person finds they are able to climax through yoni massage, they may want to try what practitioners call “edging.”
By delaying orgasm, people may find that the experience is more intense when they finally let it happen.
Edging is about stopping the massage just before climax and having some time to cool off. Then, start the massage again, stopping just before orgasm. Repeat this operation as many times as you wish.
The more a person repeats this process, the greater the pleasure they can experience when they finally allow themselves to reach orgasm.
People should know that yoni massage is unregulated.
Anyone interested in having someone else perform a yoni massage on them should do their research thoroughly and seek out a reputable practitioner.
Well-known instructors in the field include Layla Martin and Sofia Sundari.
Anyone interested in tantric sex and tantra yoga more generally can find more information at Embody Tantra and Tantra is Love.
There is no scientific evidence that yoni massage has any medical benefits. Anecdotal evidence with a long history suggests it can provide emotional and spiritual benefits.
People can perform the yoni massage alone or with a partner. Many who find it a very intimate practice.